Thursday, April 1, 2010

Monkey Slap

There are some people with whom I establish a connection in an instant.

This doesn't happen often, but when it does it is a marvelous event.

I met my Macy's manager friend through a former work colleague. They are room mates. Upon introduction the manager invited me to participate in the Macy's parade.

Participating in that parade was a lifelong ambition. He had me at hello.

Although we get along very well, I haven't seen him in several months.

I was delighted when called me yesterday. He wants to visit to India and was seeking travel tips. Talking about India is one of my favorite things.

Within half an hour we were seated at dinner together.

I gave him the basic advice, some guidebooks, and far too many travel stories -- some of which included monkeys. He grew excited. He loves monkeys!

He told me that he had a pet monkey when he was a teenager growing up in Mexico City. Monkeys are adorable but, he warned ominously, they are also wily.

He relayed a story about working at a restaurant in Mexico City that kept caged monkeys.

One day the monkeys made coy faces at him. "They acted like coquettes!" he told me while imitating their pin-up style facial expressions and poses. They were so cute he moved closer to get a better look at them.

When he was near enough to the cage, a monkey's paw grabbed his hair roughly and pulled him up against the bars. My friend was eating candy. The monkey slapped his face and took his candy!

"They played me, Darling!"

I laughed until I cried.