Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Poo Guardian

It is a beautiful Easter day in New York City. I took advantage of the warm weather to take a long walk along Hudson River Park.

When I got to the 50s, I decided to go to Westerly to pick up a bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap. It is always on sale at this store.

I walked down a residential street and noticed a young girl watching me closely. She appeared to be anticipating the moment when I would walk by her. She wore a pink and purple striped dress and had ribbons in her hair. It is likely that she just got out of church because she was standing before one.

As I got closer to her I saw that she was straddling a pile of poo. She waved her hands at me. Then she pointed down at the pile with both hands. She said some type of warning but I had difficulty understanding her. It was clear she relished this job. She wore a big smile on her excited face.

I walked down the same street on the way back, but she was gone. I had to step carefully without her guidance.

Along the park path a rollerblader cracked a whip as he passed me. I'm not sure why he needed to carry or crack a whip while rollerblading.

A friend sent a Tweet about seeing a woman in Central Park walking a young goat on a leash.

Who needs the amusements of Disneyland when they can walk the streets of New York City?