Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Something To Look Forward To

As unemployment drags on, I battle feelings of despair. For one who lives alone, the loss of a work environment is isolating. It is difficult to entertain in small apartments, so many New Yorkers meet in public places.

Generally, I see my friends over drinks, a meal, or at an event. Now that I cannot afford drinks, meals, or event tickets, the opportunity to mingle with friends has diminished.

Since many of my friends are unemployed or retrenching, we attempt to meet by doing things that are free or inexpensive, such as going to the park or visiting a museum (with free admission).

I recognize the importance of socializing to battle depression, and I have made an effort to find affordable ways to spend time with my friends.

Though a friend's Face Book post I learned about a group that is attempting to break the world's record for the most people dancing the same dance simultaneously. The group, Thrill the World, has organized the choreography to Thriller in easy to understand steps and they are holding free dance lessons weekly in New York City.

The fifth grader in me is super excited to break a world's record. The present me is glad to have free dance classes that I can take with friends.

These dates on my social calendar help structure my time and give me something to look forward to.

And I made a new friend who has signed me up to be a volunteer for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. This is something I have always wanted to do!

Now I am looking forward to free Thriller dance classes, the record-breaking event, performing in the Halloween Parade, and volunteering in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.