Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pigeon Protocol

A pigeon died outside of my bed room window. I saw it ailing on the sill and wondered whether it would die in that place four stories above the ground.

It did.

I put on rubber gloves, scooped the lifeless body into a plastic bag, walked down four flights of stairs, and put it in the trash dumpster.

For a moment, I wondered whether this was the proper way to dispose of a dead pigeon.

What is the right way to proceed when a bird dies on your window sill?

Animal control would laugh if I called and asked them to remove the dead bird. The Super would probably do the same.

After closing the lid to the building's trash, I recalled that Picasso sketched dead pigeons when he was a young boy. Perhaps I should have sketched the bird.

I missed my chance.