Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dinner and Drinks

Last night I met a friend for happy hour at XES. I caught a posting about a hole in his schedule on Face Book, and thanks to social networking we soon had a plan to meet.

We have been close friends for years. Until recently, our offices were a couple of blocks away and we would meet for lunch every couple of weeks. I hadn't seen him in a month and a half and I missed him.

He has put his social life into high gear. It sounds like he is visiting several bars and parties every night.

I met several of his friends and he and I caught up. He always makes me laugh. It was also good to be out and about doing something I would have done prior to being laid off. It make me feel more normal and less like a desperate person holed up at home waiting anxiously for more freelance work or a real job.

I should have saved money and gone home to eat, but I wanted to spend more time with him. We went to one of my favorite pizza parlors, Waldy's. This is one of the places we frequented for lunch, and it turned out they had a recession special: soda, small cheese pizza, and salad for $10.

Hurrah for my friend, Waldy's, and XES happy hour. I got a fun night out in NYC for less than $20.