Monday, May 18, 2009

A Bargain

After much hemming and hawing, I finally got a scanner. The fact is, I could rationalize buying it for my freelance work. The need to send faxes emerged several times. Then I needed to copy receipts for reimbursement. So I spent $120 on a scanner.

I had dreams of keeping an online blog of water colors, but this is the only one I executed. It took forever to make. I am a very slow painter.

Now that I am scrambling to find a job and freelance work, I have no time to paint. Maybe I'll be able to fulfill my painting and blog ambition once I get a job.

In the meantime, I made this watercolor of a petite, elderly woman I saw at Fairway around October. She was determined to get the best cantaloupe regardless of placement in the pyramid. I thought the whole lot would tumble down on her, but only a couple cascaded down.

The grocery stores in Chelsea (practically all are Gristides) are obscenely expensive. In the fall I started shopping at Fairway for certain staples once a month.

Here is a comparison of prices to indicate why I bother to travel 50 blocks for cheaper food: Sabre hummus approx. $7.50 Gristides/ $4.80 Fairway, Brown Cow yogurt $1.40 Gristides/ $0.99 Fairway. I can't remember the prices of other items. I don't want to post them unless they are accurate.

Most likely I only save about $5-10 buying at Fairway rather than Gristides once a month. But every dollar saved helps, especially now that there are very few being earned.