Thursday, January 15, 2009

To Be Free

There is something about New York City that creates an environment in which people feel free to be themselves, and it is wonderful to witness. It makes me happy to see people enjoy this freedom.

It snowed heavily this morning. As I walked to the subway (5 degrees F with windchill) an older couple ahead of me burst into song about the joy of snow. One would sing a line or two and then the other. I didn't recognize what they were singing. It sounded like a Broadway tune. Maybe they made it up. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed their enthusiasm.

On the way home from work, I passed what I am almost certain was a bearded woman. She had delicate features, a long mane of hair, and a very long beard composed of a patch of thin hair at the base of her chin. This beard was about six inches long. She walked with confidence and it is clear that she cherishes her facial hair.

Today I read an essay about George W. Bush's long goodbye from the White House. The author noted that he has used the word "freedom" excessively in public speeches. He said it 27 times in his brief 2004 inaugural address.

Honestly, I am so adverse to George W. Bush's overall philosophy and policies that I don't bother to read his speeches closely. I'm not really sure what he means when he talks about freedom. After all, this is a man who has championed all kinds of surveillance activity that curbs the right to privacy.

I suspect his definition of freedom includes an assertion of Western ideals. For example, that girls can walk to school without worrying about being assaulted with acid.

The Taliban banned music, dictated fashion, regulated facial hair, and made homosexuality a capital crime. Yet, I doubt that George W. Bush would champion the freedom to burst into song on a city street without attracting frowns or strange looks.

I'm not much of a patriot. So, it surprises me to realize that I share with George W. Bush a passion to protect freedom. However, my passion is reserved for the special kind of freedom New Yorkers experience -- the freedom to be a woman and wear a beard, the freedom to sing a duet on a city street. A freedom so absolute one feels entitled to be oneself without censure.

It is the promotion or tolerance of these simple freedoms that create the strongest deviation from extremist regimes. This is precisely the kind of freedom worth fighting for.