Monday, January 12, 2009

Period Pareidolia

This really happened. It is disturbing, yet funny.

When I pulled up my pants in the bathroom today, I was surprised to see a little face smiling up at me.

I have my period, and the blood had formed a happy face in my pad. It wasn't a sloppy-you-can-see-it-with-one-eye-shut happy face, it was as clear as if it were drawn with a pen.

It was odd thing to see something simultaneously gross and friendly.

Immediately, I thought about how people have seen images of the Virgin and Jesus in cinnamon buns, the burn marks of a tortilla, or a grilled cheese sandwich. I wondered whether the same people who revered those religious sightings would cherish the appearance of a similar image in a bloody maxi pad.

It is a disturbing thought, but it also made me smile.