Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Strange and True

It was another snowy day today. As I trudged the 20 blocks to dance class this evening, I followed a woman dragging a crummy rolling suitcase.

At a crosswalk I looked up from the inch of slippery slush to see the unfortunate person hauling a suitcase down the icy sidewalks. She was slim and wore a tiny white leather coat over her stylish outfit. Her head was covered by a clear plastic rain bonnet.

This is the kind of rain bonnet that was advertised in the Harriet Carter catalog. Women wore these devices in the days when they had their hair done twice a week at a salon. I haven't seen one in a long time. Until today I haven't seen one on anyone under 30.

It made me smile.

Two hours later I was in the neighborhood pharmacy looking for contact solution. I walked up and down the aisles several times. At one point a man standing nearby said, "This is worse than a labyrinth!"

I looked up and did a double take. He looked like someone I knew. Who was it?

He looked like President Obama! He had the same facial features and hair. He was dressed in a president-casual black puffy parka and jeans.

I finally located the contact solution, and as I was examining the offerings the Presidential doppelganger walked past. "Still looking!" he said.

I asked him how often people tell him he resembles the President.

He smiled and shook his head. "Every day! Ha ha! Every day!"