Sunday, February 28, 2010

Island Living

I'm using some grant money to take NYU continuing education courses at the Woolworth building in the Financial District. This is in a part of the city I rarely visited before now.

When classes began, I was scheduled to participate in my dance school's annual recital at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center. The theater is a few blocks from the school. I was concerned about how I would simultaneously attend a final exam and dress rehearsal the day of the show.

As fate would have it, my dermatologist made the decision. He found dysplasia on my back and it required surgical removal. I couldn't dance with stitches so I missed the show this year.

After class on the day of the recital, I stopped by the dress rehearsal to return costumes to my dance instructor. The stage and the dancers looked amazing. I felt a pang of sadness about not performing. It reminded me that this is the second annual event I missed this year due to health issues.

When I left the theater around 4:45, it was still sunny and reasonably warm. It snowed heavily the day before. I realized I was fairly close to Battery Park and decided to walk home so I could enjoy the snowy scenery as the sun set on the Hudson River. As I walked, I noticed that the sun was setting much later. Lengthening daylight is a small encouragement that spring is approaching.

When I reached 20th Street, I turned right. This is the heart of the Chelsea gallery district. Once again I admonished myself for not going to more gallery openings.

Although I was a bit eager to get home, I was intrigued by what I saw in the window of Jack Shainman's gallery and decided to get a better view. The show consisted of large, shimmering wall hangings made by Ghanaian artist El Anatsui. Each piece was composed of hand-sewn pieces of beverage packaging components, such as metal labels or bottle caps. It is marvelous that such humble materials can be transformed by artists into glorious objects.

I felt inspired.

After a quick change and bite to eat at home, I headed uptown to a former co-worker's birthday gathering at a bar. I was wavering about going. My energy level was as low as my bank account, but he is one of the loveliest people I have known and I wanted to see him. We were laid off around the same time, and he joined me in the Thrill the World dance project and Macy's Day Parade.

As I walked the 20 blocks to the Hell's Kitchen bar, I decided to call a couple of friends who live in that neighborhood to see whether they could join me. It is rare that I go out now, so I thought I should maximize the event.

My designer friend welcomed an opportunity to take an impromptu break from a heinous freelance project, and planned to meet me at the bar.

When I hung up with him, I passed a man dressed late-Elvis style walking out of The New Yorker Hotel. He adopted every Elvis detail from the glasses to the 1970s flared suit. His hair, which may have been a wig, was jet black and perfectly coiffed into a pompadour. He appeared to be about 50 or 60 years old. As he pushed his date into a waiting taxi, I wondered whether he was a fan or had dressed this way for a special occasion.

Regardless, his flamboyance made me smile.

The birthday boy assembled a small group of close friends at the bar. I was surprised and honored to realize I was in the inner circle. I enjoyed meeting and talking with each of these extraordinary people. It was also a special treat to catch up with my designer friend.

Unexpected blessings seem especially likely to happen in New York City, which in my mind, is beginning to resemble a campus. I am fortunate to live in the middle of Manhattan where I am within walking distance of so much, and am able to take full advantage of social networking technology. It also helps that I enjoy walking a mile to meet people or go to an event.

To mention that life is a journey with many unexpected twists and turns is a cliche. It is a cliche for a reason. Most people seem to expect a smooth road.

I grew up in a chaotic environment and am particularly adverse to instability. Unemployment is especially difficult for me to bear. In the past year I've endured a rapid erosion of the financial foundation I built in the expectation of bringing calm and stability to my life.

I've struggled to find another, less depressing interpretation of this experience. The alternative view is that this period of unemployment and uncertainty is a lesson in handling events that are unexpected and unwelcome.

It has also taught me to be receptive to the many pleasant, unexpected things that can happen when you let them.

A window closed today, but a few others opened. I never know where the day may take me. This day reminded me that sometimes that is a good thing.