Monday, August 31, 2009

Underpinnings

Years ago I purchased a book titled, The History of Underclothes. It isn't prominently displayed in my bookcase, but people notice it nonetheless.

The book isn't as exciting as the subject matter may suggest. I didn't make it past page 60.

Over the weekend I went to an exhibit about underclothes at the Merchant's House Museum. My former burlesque teacher had posted a link to the exhibit on Face Book. She hinted that it was sensational, and I was intrigued. Through Face Book, I made an arrangement to see the show with a former work colleague who also expressed interest in the show.

Unfortunately, the underwear exhibit was weak. It was composed of approximately 6 items: a pair of stockings, a corset, and three hoop skirts or petticoats.

The museum was small and a bit worn down, and the meager exhibit was disappointing. But on closer inspection, the place revealed some some charming aspects.

I learned that a pie safe was intended to keep bread products safe from vermin. My 20th century-formed mind thought it safe guarded goods from snacking residents of the house.

An artist had spruced up a falling ceiling with a faux leg, which struck me as a positive way to handle the crumbling ceiling crisis. I wish I had been as clever when dealing with a similar problem in my apartment.

The pulley system on the gas chandeliers was interesting. It is an elegant combination of frill and function.

Most importantly, I got better acquainted with my former work colleague. We often interact on Face Book, but hadn't socialized outside of work. We are both a little geeky about historical details, so meeting at the museum was perfect.

She is smart, and has unusual qualities. She is a marathon runner who has completed races on every continent (including Antarctica). She recently visited a remote town in Alaska because it is the northern most point of the United States. She is a chocolate enthusiast with a refined palate, and she has organized a chocolate tasters club in New York. She kindly introduced me to a marvelous chocolate lunch at MarieBelle in Soho.

Spending time with her reminded me that there is much in the world to explore, even on a small scale. Sometimes things that initially disappoint deserve a second look to yield modest wonders.