Sunday, August 23, 2009

The 32 Cents Lady

My view of the Great Recession is that it and the rise of social networking tools will encourage more community. As people tighten their belts, they will rely more and more on one another.

Today I bought soda at Gristides and was 32 cents short. I was running the errand during a wash cycle at the laundromat, and didn't have my full wallet with me. The cashier readily loaned me 32 cents.

I returned to the laundromat to put the wash in the dryers, which were full. As I waited, a man pointed out which machines ran hotter and dried faster. It was clear he was living on a tight margin. He bragged that he could wash and dry 2 loads for less than $10.

He checked his drying laundry and gave me his drier, which had 4 more minutes on it. I thanked him.

When I was done with the laundromat and had put my clothes away, I went to the supermarket to give the cashier 32 cents.

The minimum wage in New York City is $7.25 per hour, so 32 cents is nearly 5% of a cashier's earnings in one hour. I thought it was generous of the lady to give a stranger that much money.

When I found the cashier in the store and gave her the money, she was surprised. She also seemed to think it was silly of me to bother returning the money. I will be known forever more at this store as the (stupid) 32 cents lady.

Later, I passed on the street the man who gave me 4 minutes of his drier time. I smiled and said hello, but he didn't recognize me or return the greeting.

It appears that my theory about the recession and community needs revising.