Monday, December 22, 2008

Cuppa

I work near Penn Station, which has its benefits and drawbacks. It is a centrally located transportation hub but it is crowded with clueless tourists and unreasonably priced, greasy restaurants that cater to them.

I've worked here for about four and a half years. Despite an active search for decent dining options, the list of places where I will eat is limited: Izumi, Chipotle, Waldy's, Soup Spot, and Ginger House.

Recently, I found a sushi restaurant that is a good value: Canaan. I can get a hearty bento box for $9.50.

Today is a bone chilling cold day, but it was pleasant inside the restaurant. As I sat near the kitchen waiting for my take out order, a waitress who was serving the tables nearby brought me a steaming hot ceramic mug of green tea.

I am so impressed by her kindness. First, because she gave the tea to someone who is clearly just waiting for an order and not a sit down customer. Second, she served the tea to a temporary customer in a ceramic cup. Third, there was no opportunity for profit or tip.

Someone so thoughtful must be one of the top waitresses in New York.

I just love drinking tea from a cup without handles. It warms the fingers.