Saturday, November 15, 2008

Close Strangers

As I walked alone down busy 23rd street, my hand brushed the hand of a stranger who was walking in the opposite direction. It lasted only a moment, but it made me pause and ponder the impact. Touching hands seems intimate, yet I didn't even see who the person was. It could have been a man or woman, homeless person or billionaire.

This is one of the aspects of New York City that I simultaneously like and dislike. One is surrounded by and in close proximity to many people. I sometimes would like a little more room to move about. It would be more expedient to get to Home Depot without dodging baby carriages, slowing the pace behind dawdling hand-holders, and making way for the handcart of boxes. Yet, I like that I have an opportunity to mix with so many different people, people that I wouldn't be likely to meet in other cities or in the homes of my friends.

It is a struggle to live in New York City. The cost of living here is high. Like many people, I work at a company that has warned its employees of forthcoming layoffs and I am worried that I will soon join the ever increasing ranks of the unemployed. Thousands of layoffs in the publishing industry have already taken place, so it will be very difficult to find a job. At a time like this, the city seems harsher than usual. It remains unconcerned about those who love it and strive to remain here.

I found this brief stranger's touch comforting. Because it was anonymous, it is as if the city extended itself for a moment to reassure me that there is a human element here with the potential to care. In fact, it is all around when you need it.