Friday, November 21, 2008

Clean Clothes in Captivity

In Chelsea there are tiny storefronts that take in laundry and send it somewhere else to wash. I'm not sure what the proper term for this business is. It isn't a laundromat because they don't have coin operated machines. It is probably something that doesn't exist in many places. I suppose this storefront laundry business is here because real estate for a laundry facility is too expensive.

Actually, the closest laundromat just went out of business. There aren't that many left in Chelsea. Most of Chelsea's laundry goes to these small storefronts.

I found my cleaners by chance. The cleaners downstairs is convenient, but at $1.20 a pound, too expensive. A new cleaners opened with a discount, so I went to them. But the staff spoke English poorly; they didn't understand requests such as "no fabric softener." In frustration, I tried an older cleaners a few doors down from the new one. They are a bit less convenient, but they speak much better English and have decent prices.

I dropped my laundry off at the cleaners on Saturday. Every night I have had appointments after work and was not able to pick up the laundry before the place closed. Today, I was down to my last pair of socks.

I raced to get there on time tonight. The woman minding the store quickly retrieved my laundry bag. I apologized for leaving my clothes there so long. After I paid the bill she looked up at me with a smile and said, "You look so beautiful today!"

This comment was completely unexpected. She was peering into my face and smiling.

This lady is often working behind the counter, so we recognize one another. She isn't a habitual flatterer. Although I don't think I am particularly attractive, I'm certain her comment was sincere and it made me feel really happy.

The warden of my clothes couldn't be more lovely.