Thursday, March 19, 2009

Somewhere, Sometime

The Broadway revival of West Side Story is the current sensation in New York. A friend kindly offered to buy me a ticket to the show if I entered us in the ticket lottery and we won.


Broadway ticket prices are out of control. Several years ago, a $125 prime orchestra ticket was considered outrageous. Now those tickets are $325. When Broadway theaters champion weak productions (i.e. Legally Blonde, Young Frankenstein) and charge these prices, it is clear why they are in financial peril.


Unless a show is a blockbuster hit, a high percentage of seats will be empty for performances. From what I understand, generally about a third of the seats for regular Broadway shows are unsold. The theaters don’t want empty seats because it makes the production look like a failure. So, empty seats are sold through a variety of cheaper venues, such as student rush tickets, TKTS, or a seat-filling agency (i.e. Play by Play).


Through my friend’s generosity, I recently secured prime orchestra seats (a $325 value according to the prices listed by the box office) for Impressionism through student rush for $26.50. Although the actors (Jeremy Irons, Joan Allen, Andre De Shields) are top notch, the play is not. I doubt it will have a long run or sell many seats at $325, $125, or $60.


Although I am not a financial wiz, I suspect that with its star power cast this weak play would have enough appeal to fill seats at $50 and $25. Ironically, the greed of the theater owners seems to be an obstacle to making money on the many poor productions they run.


However, the buzz for West Side Story is very good and anyone left in New York who can still afford tickets is clamoring for them. The theater is selling off empty seats each night and generating good PR by holding a lottery for unsold tickets outside of the theater at 6pm. These reduced tickets sell for $60 each (cash only).


Shortly before 6, I arrived at the theater. It was mobbed. The crowd filled up the already crowded street in Times Square. I elbowed my way into the lobby where a man was standing beside a small table. I filled out an entry form and he placed it in a bag.


At 6pm, he stood at the door of the theater and called out the names of the lucky people who won tickets. Alas, my name was not called.